Nellis Afb, Nevada is a small town located on the Nellis Air Force Base in the Las Vegas Valley. It has a population of around 8,000 people, most of whom are military personnel and their families. The area is mostly flat desert terrain, but there are some mountains to the north and east. The climate is arid with hot summers and mild winters. Check whicheverhealth for information about Bunkerville, Nevada.
The history of Nellis Air Force Base dates back to 1941 when it was created as a training base for the Army Air Corps during World War II. During this time, it was home to the famous Tuskegee Airmen, the first African American pilots in U.S. military history. After World War II, Nellis AFB continued to be an important center for military training and operations until its closure in 1994.
Today, Nellis AFB remains an important part of Nevada’s economy due to its large military presence and its proximity to Las Vegas. The base is home to several major commands including the U.S Air Force Warfare Center, which oversees all air combat operations training and development for the U.S armed forces worldwide. Additionally, Nellis AFB serves as a major hub for aerospace research and development activities related to unmanned aerial systems (UAS) technology and other advanced aircraft systems like hypersonic flight vehicles and directed energy weapons systems such as lasers and high-power microwaves (HPMs).
Nellis AFB also serves as an educational center with several local schools located on or near the base including various elementary schools, middle schools, high schools as well as technical colleges offering degree programs related to aviation technology or engineering disciplines such as aeronautical engineering or aircraft maintenance technology.
In addition to being a hub for education & research activities related to aerospace technology & warfare training operations; Nellis AFB is also home to several notable landmarks such as the Thunderbirds Museum which houses memorabilia from past air shows featuring America’s premier aerial demonstration team; The Red Flag Museum which commemorates exercises conducted at Nellis AFB; The Atomic Testing Museum which documents over 50 years of nuclear weapon testing in Nevada; And finally there’s Area 51 – one of America’s most mysterious secret bases believed by many UFO enthusiasts & conspiracy theorists alike to be home of extraterrestrial activity!
Males: 4,813 (54.1%), Females: 4,083 (45.9%)
Zip code: 89191
Median resident age: 24.0 years
Median household income: $33,118
Median house value: $103,000
Races in Nellis AFB:
- White Non-Hispanic (63.4%)
- Black (14.3%)
- Hispanic (11.7%)
- Two or more races (5.2%)
- Other race (4.9%)
- Filipino (3.3%)
- American Indian (2.2%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (16.6%), Irish (10.5%), English (6.8%), Italian (6.2%), United States (5.7%), French (3.7%).
Land area: 3.1 square miles
Nellis Air Force Base is located in the Las Vegas Valley in Nevada. The base is home to the United States Air Force Warfare Center and the famed Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team. It is one of the largest military installations in the world, spanning over 7,000 acres.
The population of Nellis AFB is estimated to be around 8,700 people. The main population consists of military personnel and their families, civilian employees and contractors, as well as retired veterans and their families. The surrounding areas have a population of around 2 million people.
Living costs in Nellis AFB are generally lower than many other parts of the country due to its proximity to Las Vegas and other local amenities. Rent for a two-bedroom apartment ranges from $800 – $1,000 per month, while a three-bedroom apartment can cost up to $1,500 per month or more depending on location and amenities included. Utilities such as water and electricity typically cost between $100 – $150 per month on average. Groceries tend to be slightly pricier than other parts of the country due to higher demand but are still relatively affordable compared with other areas in Nevada such as Reno or Lake Tahoe.
For population 25 years and over in Nellis AFB
- High school or higher: 91.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 7.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Nellis AFB CDP
- Never married: 23.9%
- Now married: 62.3%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 1.3%
- Divorced: 9.1%
5.6% Foreign born (2.7% Asia, 1.7% Latin America, 1.0% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Nellis AFB:
- LAKE MEAD HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV)
- HORIZON SPECIALTY HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV)
- VALLEY HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Nellis AFB:
- NELLIS AFB (about 2 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: LSV)
- MC CARRAN INTL (about 14 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: LAS)
- LAUGHLIN/BULLHEAD INTERNATIONAL (about 83 miles; BULLHEAD CITY, AZ; Abbreviation: IFP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Nellis AFB:
- NORTH LAS VEGAS (about 10 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: VGT)
- HENDERSON EXECUTIVE (about 20 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: HND)
- BOULDER CITY MUNI (about 26 miles; BOULDER CITY, NV; Abbreviation: 61B)
Amtrak station near Nellis AFB:
- 9 miles: LAS VEGAS (1 MAIN ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Nellis AFB:
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN NEVADA (about 6 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Full-time enrollment: 13,686)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-LAS VEGAS (about 23 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Full-time enrollment: 15,686)
- MOHAVE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 102 miles; KINGMAN, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,405)
- LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY (about 116 miles; LOMA LINDA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,761)
- DIXIE STATE COLLEGE OF UTAH (about 118 miles; ST GEORGE, UT; Full-time enrollment: 4,347)
- SOUTHERN UTAH UNIVERSITY (about 167 miles; CEDAR CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 5,091)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-RIVERSIDE (about 185 miles; RIVERSIDE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 12,213)